Wednesday, July 2, 2008

HAPPY 4th OF JULY!

Happy 4th of July everyone! It's one of my favorite holidays! This fourth we're going camping at Lake Ray Roberts with our good friends. I'm so excited! My little family has our navy blue 4th of July shirts packed ready to wear- and my sons even have patriotic matching shorts! We'll spend the night on Thursday, and get up to make fresh sausage mcmuffins. We'll then have a mini- flag ceremony after which the kids can color patriotic color sheets. Then off to swimming for the rest of day before heading home to catch the fireworks. I'll be sure to post pictures! I love this time of year! My heart swells with patriotism! I have so many wonderful childhood memories of the July 4th holiday. One in particular, I'll never forget, was being at my Grandma and Grandpa English's house in their darling town of Maplewood, New Jersey, (a suburb of New York City). We were there for a family reunion in the 1980's. I remember wearing a red, white and blue "coke-a-cola rugby shirt" (I though it was so cool). I remember we went to watch the circus staff set up the circus tent in the morning and then back for the performance in the afternoon. Grandpa was so cute and bought all the grand kids cotton candy and coloring books. After, we went to the my grandparents home for a fun festive neighbor hood block party and then watched the fireworks...Other great childhood memories included participating in the town family relay races and watching the fireworks over the Lake Bemidji (in Minnesota). And when we lived in San Antonio I remember going to neighborhood pool parties and evening block parties. At night we would watch the fire works from our church parking lot. (The parking lot overlooked the whole city making the fireworks extra spectacular!) Another patriotic memory I have is going to Ellis Island. It's located close to the Statue of Liberty on the Hudson River in New York Harbor. And even though I didn't go there exactly on the 4th of July- It was still an amazing experience. Ellis Island was at one time the main entry facility for immigrants entering the United States. And when you walk the halls and see the pictures of the thousands of people processed in the crowded, poor conditions, all seeking the land of opportunity, your heart is overtaken with gratitude that you live in this day and age. I love this country.

4 comments:

The Ollila's said...

Hey there Nissa. Remember me.....ALicia Ollila. ACCD buddies. Your blog is so cute. I have a blog as well so you will have to check it out. And I have a blog for Patricks artwork too. Really cool stuff!! Good to here things are going so good for you. Are you still here in TX??
ALICIA

Wendy said...

I hope that you guys have a great time at Ray Roberts, It looks the weather won't be too hot, I am sad that we won't be there. It sounds like you guys have some fun stuff planned. Happy 4th!

Montana Wilkins said...

No one I know does holidays like you do, Nissa! It always sounds so fun. And I love your reflections on 4ths of the past and comments on how you feel about our country. What fun memories! Did you get the e-mail I sent with memories from Ricks? I'm dying to hear some of yours if you ever get a sec!
Love, Janet

Anonymous said...

For the Love Nissa, talk about bringing back the memories...Wow! WE were truly so blessed growing up, and i love that because of our Mom's love and devotion to this sacred country and all that it stands for... it's lingering effects and not only have touched your heart and my heart, but will continue to be felt down threw the generations... Your childrena dn future crandchildren and great grandchildren are truly blessed! =) Thanks for igniting the fire of freedome in my hart this fourth of July...You are amazing! I love you! =)
Love ya, Leesey =)
P.S. weren't are Coca-Cola shirts the best...whatever happend to them...I think I spilled food on them and stained them...Go Figure! =0
P.S.S. Remember that one Fourth of July when Blair sang the national anthem for the entire block party...Too bad America Idol wasn't around then...He's be famous! Good times! Fun times! =)