Thursday, March 5, 2009

Children Understand...

We told our children about Justin loosing his job when it happened. And they have understood the financial strains it puts on us parents. For example, a few days ago I was going to cook some eggs for breakfast. I had a whole dozen eggs on the counter ready to put in the pan. When I wasn't looking Cayden saw the eggs, grabbed them causing them to come crashing down-each one breaking as it it the floor. I was already emotionally stressed, and so I blurted out "That cost money!-We can't waste food!" Kay-Lynn heard me and asked, "How much do eggs cost?" After I took gained composure I said, "It's not much, only a dollar and something." Then she left the room and came back with as dollar. I told her It was OK and I wasn't going to take her money. Then later that night I found this envelope on the nightstand by my bed. Inside was the dollar and some coins. Tears came to my eyes when I saw it. What a sweetheart of a daughter I am blessed to have. In morning I returned the money to her.
The next day Ashton asked, "When Dad gets a job and gets lots of money again can we go to McDonalds?" How cute-it melted my heart. Well, this week my Dad came through town for business and stopped by to see us. He offered to take us to get a bite to eat. So, Ashton got to go to McDonalds and get a spiderman Happy meal! He was so excited!

4 comments:

Angel said...

Oh! How adorable Kay-Lynn is! I have been thinking about you continually for the past week. I hope that you are coping ok (or doing as well as one can expect with what you are going through). I have been wanting to call, hopefully I can find a moment in the next few days.

Camile said...

What a sweetheart! Children do understand so much more than we give them credit for a lot of times. I'm glad that Ashton got his Happy Meal!

Montana Wilkins said...

That made me tear up too! Children are such a blessing. What a wonderful reminder of how we should be. Sometimes I still can't believe I haven't actually met your sweet kids! Congrats on being their mommy. You're doing a fabulous job, obviously.

Beckie said...

You are such a good mom teaching your kids. I hope that Justin resumes working soon.